MOSSEL BAY NEWS - Mossel Bay is home to a number of significant historical buildings. Many of these are sandstone structures in the centre of the town and in the streets parallel or perpendicular to Marsh Street.
The upper town comprises steep inclines and narrow roadways, many of them single lane. It truly is worth exploring these streets. The sandstone houses have quaint balconies and trellis work. Besides the interesting buildings, there are magnificent views of the bay to enjoy from these vantage points.
Gewels Guest House
Built in 1917 by architect Sir Herbert Baker, Gewels Guest House is a gracious white and green building with numerous gables, as the name suggests. It is a landmark on your right as you enter Mossel Bay on George Street. It overlooks Santos beach.
Old Barry Building
Originally it was erected in 1849 as a warehouse and trading post by Barry & Nephews of Swellendam. In 1941 it was owned by the African Golden Ochre Company, exporters of ochre from nearby Albertinia.
Munro's Hook Cottages
The first of these cottages was built by Alexander Munro from Scotland in about 1830 for a mere £25. Munro operated a canteen on the premises, where unruly seamen met. His son got the first permit to cull whales on the beach below. The front house is one of Mossel Bay's national monuments.
10 Church Street 29
When this building was erected in 1857, the then magistrate described it as "the most extensive and commodious premises in this village". The iron hoisting apparatus used to lift supplies is still visible today.
Old Black's Offices
One of only a few old three-storeyed buildings in town, it was erected as offices in 1904. The style reminds one of the typical Netherlands "Urk" architecture.
Goods Shed, Bland Street
The building is at the Bland Street entrance to the harbour. Owing to an increase in cargo, the Harbour Company was forced to build a warehouse. Construction started in 1901 and the building was completed in 1902 - hence the two dates on the gables. Stones for the building were quarried at the Point. Two stained glass windows depicting life on the river Thames can be seen on the Bland Street side.
St Peter’s Anglican Church
Built in 1879, it features the simple lines of the early English style. The steeple, added in 1906, is unique in that it is constructed entirely out of stone, even the spire. The church has beautiful Gothic windows and is a national monument.
Customs and Excise Office
The building was erected in 1974, a second storey was added in 1882 and a balcony in 1898. The exterior has remained unchanged and at a stage the building was known as "Queen’s Warehouse." On the corner of Bland Street is a special cornerstone that prevented the wagons from damaging the wall when turning.
80 Bland Street
Built in 1881 as a shop, this building is said to have been used as a concert hall during the Anglo-Boer War. For many years the window sills in Cuff Street were used by the local fishing folk for sharpening their knives.
Culture Museum Annex
In 1858 a piece of land was given to the Public Building Company to erect a library, reading room and municipal meeting room. This white building was completed in 1858. Built in the typical Karoo style, facing the sea, the Annex is a national monument.
'We bring you the latest Garden Route news'