MOSSEL BAY NEWS - KwaNonqaba police are still investigating the death of two-year-old Esona Alexander, who was electrocuted on Tuesday, 20 April.
The incident happened at about 12:30 at the Alexanders' home in Adriaans Avenue.
Esona was playing in the yard while her mother, Nosisi Alexander (27), was sitting outside, watching her. The child was playing near the fence and touched a steel pole, when she was shocked.
The Mossel Bay Municipality said in a statement that Esona's death was likely the result of an illegal electrical connection.
However, the family believes it was a live wire running underneath the paved road and towards their fence that was the cause of her death.
Esona's mother, Nosisi, says although they did have an illegal electrical connection running from their home to a caravan nearby, they believed it was not because of the illegal connection that Esona died. "We are still looking for answers and we want clarity as to what the cause of her death was," says Nosisi.
The municipality removed the illegal connection when investigating after the electrocution and the area was made safe. Municipal spokesperson Nickey le Roux says a preliminary investigation suggests the electrocution took place when an erf boundary fence on the corner of Adriaans and Sixaxeni roads, Asla Park, became energised due to an illegal electrical connection.
Esona was buried on Thursday, 29 April.
'We bring you the latest Mossel Bay, Garden Route news'