MOSSEL BAY NEWS - The Mossel Bay coastline has long, sandy stretches, perfect for walking dogs, but before you take your pooch to the waterside, familiarise yourself with the municipal rules for dogs on beaches.
Annually, during the period from 1 December to 31 January, dogs may be walked on the following beaches on the demarcated areas between the hours of 05:00 and 08:00 in the mornings and 18:00 and 20:00 at night.
- Santos beach - only for the duration of officially proclaimed doggy walks. Note that dogs are not allowed at any other time
- Diaz Beach - between the estuary and Bayview
- Hartenbos - between the river mouth and Little Brak River, excluding the Blue Flag beach between the river mouth and the northern boundary of the parking lot
- Reebok / Tergniet
- Dana Bay - only between First and Second beaches
- Blue flag status applies in Mossel Bay from 9 December to 10 January. Then no dogs are allowed on the Blue Flag beaches of Glentana, Klein Brak River, Hartenbos, De Bakke or Santos.
During the period from 1 February to 30 November annually, dog owners are allowed to walk their dogs between the hours of 06:00 and 20:00 on the beaches mentioned above.
People who walk their dogs on beaches must adhere to the following code of conduct:
- Dogs must always be under strict control of the owner / dog walker at all times
- Dogs must be leashed at all times
- Dog handlers must have control of their dogs at all times and not allow them to interfere with the pleasure of others using the public beach areas
- Vicious dogs must be muzzled
- Give right of way to people unaccompanied by dogs
- Dog handlers must be responsible for removing their dog's faeces from beaches, grass areas, paths, car parks and any other areas used by pedestrians. Faeces should be removed from all areas immediately and either removed from the site or placed in appropriate bins
- Bitches on heat may not be walked in the public beach areas
- Dog handlers must ensure that their dogs do not chase or injure wild life
- Public beach area notices must be complied with
Beaches between Boggoms Bay and Vlees Bay
Dog owners are allowed to walk their dogs between the hours of 06:00 and 20:00 on the beach area between the most southern part of the beach at Boggoms Bay and the north of First Beach at Vlees Bay
Apart from the same rules as described above, dog handlers must remain on the public beach areas and approved paths and tracks at all times. No new paths may be created and no shortcuts may be taken.
'We bring you the latest Mossel Bay, Garden Route news'