GARDEN ROUTE DISTRICT NEWS - The South African Weather Service has issued the following Impact Based Severe Weather Forecast:
Hazard: Disruptive rain
Affected Municipalities: Bitou, George, Knysna and Mossel Bay.
Rain is expected along the south coast and adjacent interior from Thursday into Saturday (08-10/10/2020) with rainfall accumulations of 5 to 15mm reaching 20 to 40mm over the eastern parts of the south coast.
Due to recent rain in the area and more rain forecasted for Thursday into Saturday morning, there is a possibility of localised flooding to susceptible areas between Mossel Bay and Plettenberg Bay on Friday.
Localised flooding of susceptible informal settlements. Minor motor vehicle accidents due to slippery roads and reduced visibility increasing travelling times. Minor motor vehicle accidents due to slippery roads and reduced visibility increasing travelling times.
- If possible stay indoors and off the roads, avoid crossing rivers and swollen streams where water is above your ankles.
- If trapped in a vehicle during a flood, abandon it and climb to higher ground.
- In buildings, move valuables to a safe place above the expected flood level.
- Switch off electricity at the supply point to the building.
- In rural areas protect/relocate animals to a safe place on higher ground.
- Abandon your home immediately if evacuation is recommended before access is cut off by floodwater.
- NEVER drive on a road covered by water. If the vehicle stalls, leave it immediately and seek higher ground.
- Be especially cautious at night when it’s harder to recognize flood dangers.
- Listen to the radio or TV for warnings and obey the instructions from disaster management officers.
Report any severe weather related incidents to the Garden Route Disaster Management Centre at telephone number 044 805 5071.